Sunday, January 08, 2006

Mooning On the Sandbar

A judge in Maryland ruled last week that mooning, exposing one's buttocks in public, was not an illegal act in Maryland. The ruling settled a dispute involving board members of a home owners association. Lawyers for the 44-year-old defendant argued that their client merely exposed his buttocks and that a 1986 Washington, D. C. Court of Appeals ruled that indecent exposure is limited to a person's genitals. One lawyer quipped that this would be a favorable ruling for all beachgoers and plumbers.

I, for one, agree whole-heartedly with this ruling. Just yesterday, my friend and I were walking along the sand bar, and as she paused to look at a piece of driftwood, I stopped to take her picture. She objected and directed an obscene gesture toward the camera. I complained that I only wanted to snap a nice picture - the light was nice. To which, she turned and lowered her jeans, presumably as an act of protest. I was shocked - but was still able to catch her exercising her freedom of expression on this lovely 60-degree January day. Happy New Year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home